You can often find  free or cheap mannequins on Craigslist or Freecycle.  And you can also go dumpster diving behind a retail store or mall because retailer frequently throw away mannequins when a store is closing, remodeling or if the mannequin is broken.

Copy of IMG_0947

If neither of those options work for you, do a google search for display fixtures in your city. The industry term for mannequins is “display fixture” and many vendors who primarily sell store fixtures also sell mannequins on the side. But since mannequins are not their primary business their store will have a name like Joe’s Store Fixtures. And often they will have a section with used or distressed mannequins.

Since mannequins are our primary business, our company name is Mannequin Madness and we have two categories of used mannequins.

First is our mannequin boneyard where we have slightly distressed mannequins which appeal to our customers who are doing art projects or Halloween Displays and don’t really care about the condition. We also sell mannequin limbs like arms, hands and legs in our mannequin boneyard.

mannequinparts

Then we have our pre-owned designer mannequins which ones that we have acquired from high end retailers when they remodel their stores. These mannequins would are very expensive brand new, but we sell them for a fraction of their normal retail price.

Examples: a brand new Rootstein Mannequin cost $1200 brand new, we sell them for $400. A brand new Patina V or Goldsmith mannequin is $700, we sell them for $175.

rootsteintrio

This category appeals to independent retail stores who need a high-end look on a beer budget.

And these mannequins are much high caliber than the cheap imports that you can find on Ebay. It is like buying a used Mercedes instead of a new Hyundai.

The shipping costs for a used mannequin is the same as a new one, so that is why it is ideal to buy used mannequins locally.

Should you need to borrow a mannequin for a short term purpose, there are many companies that will rent a mannequin to you which we have listed here. Not the same as free, but not as expensive as buying a mannequin if you just need one for a week or less.

Sometimes prop rental companies will have mannequins in their inventory that they will rent.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
39 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Eric Krupa
Eric Krupa
12 years ago

I was just looking for a cheap “broken one” thing when I stumbled upon your article. I smiled the whole way through it. I am NOT one of the poeple who beg for anything. I earn the few things I have….I was just browsing around for one to rescue. I found one that someone apparently used for batting practice…offered $30 for the shattered carcas and am constantly remolding and restoring her. Wish I could send you some pictures of her. People think she is real.

anyway…I did really enjoy the “Free” article. Now I will continue my search for some badly abused mannequin that just needs some love, patience and a massive amount of work so I can do my art thing.

P.S. hahaha I would trade my soul for an hour of rummaging through your “boneyard”

Wendy Reese
Wendy Reese
12 years ago

One of my friends is creating a piece with a piano and needs a mannequin to complete it. Just the lower half from the waist down. Need it quick! Thanks

Alicia
11 years ago

need a mannequin full body for my fashion…. i design dresses and i need one… thxz!

Sherita Shelton
Sherita Shelton
11 years ago

I’m looking for a cheap (If not Free) Mannequin for a project I’ve decided to start. I’m a really big fan of the 18th Century Clothing and fashion and its so hard to find the things I need to complete my project.

Frank McClintock
Frank McClintock
11 years ago

looking for free mannequins for a group art project.

farah
farah
10 years ago

looking for a cheap or free mannequin to start my designs so i can look on starting a business of my own thankyou!

Monica Reed
Monica Reed
10 years ago

I own my own small handpainted apparel business.I roller sk8 from state to state and I vendor at some of our parties.I am trying to really get into my business and learning more ways to advertise.I’m searching for a cheap or free mannequin or manikin asap.I have a upcoming event in Charlotte Nc in a week.

Sydney
Sydney
10 years ago

I need a mannequin for my daughter Jocelyn. It needs to be able to fit a twelve year old. Thank you _Sydney

Sugey
Sugey
10 years ago

***** I need a Couple of full or half body mannequins, doing a project with a non profit group home I work for. if you can help me with anything please email me.

Sugey

Tammy
Tammy
10 years ago

i would like info on where i can get a free or reallyyyyy cheap male mannequin, preferably wit a wig n would b awesome if it was bend/moveable. I’ve looked online n cheapest (including shipping) was almost $100!!! I def CANNOT afford that!! Please help me asap!! Thank you!!!

admin
Admin
10 years ago
Reply to  Tammy

The only mannequins we have with heads for under $100 – have some damage on them. Most mannequins are not bendable, if they are made of fiberglass

Mike Bonner
Mike Bonner
Reply to  admin

Hi,
I am the new project manager for a small business in the port of Houston. It’s a very dangerous environment, and my safety meetings seem to be rather lackluster. I thought that i could stage an accident where someone was not following the safety guidelines could get killed (which really can happen). Our safety program is seen as a necessary evil at best by the owners, which leaves us with little funds. Can anyone offer something I can buy pretty cheap? I can pay for shipping too. Thanks.

Cindy
Cindy
10 years ago

Searching for a posable female mannequin w/head 4 my autistic, awesome, intelligent & fabulous 12 y/o daughter to play with. I found many I cant afford. Any free or cheap? Please contact me if u can help.

Mary Lee Kraushaar
Mary Lee Kraushaar
10 years ago

I’m looking for a CHEAP full-figured female standing mannequin. Rapid weight loss due to medical issues in the last 5 months leaves me in need of one. Please contact me if u can help. Scratch and dent okay if manniquin still works.

Cynthia
Cynthia
9 years ago

I need mannequins for ptsd patients. It is for long-term therapy projects to help them work through their issues. If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Any condition.

fha loans
fha loans
9 years ago

I love what you guys are usually up too. This type of clever work and coverage!
Keep up the wonderful works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my own blogroll.

Devi
9 years ago

Looking for free or really cheap (bendable or not) (eated or standing ) one to sue for a summer art camp! Thanks!

insurance handbook for the medical office
insurance handbook for the medical office
9 years ago

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you actually recognize what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally seek advice from my web site =). We can have a link change agreement among us

sam
sam
9 years ago

I live in the Torrance/South Bay Area. I need a half manequin as a display for my son’s science project. I really wouldn’t even need it to keep, it really would be only as a loaner and I can return it upon the completion of the science project .

cheapest ticket
cheapest ticket
9 years ago

My partner and I stumbled over here by a different page and thought I should check things out.
I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to checking out your web page repeatedly.

Miguel
Miguel
9 years ago

I’m a college art student studying film video. I don’t have enough to pay for extras to appear on set in my student work I’ve been searching for 2 years now for mannequins in Massachusetts with no luck. i could use any help finding a free mannequin for my work.

christine
christine
9 years ago

2sides2thecross ministry is having a back to school event on Friday, August 16, 2013 and are in need of at least tow mannequins to display outfits. We want to bless the youth and send them to school with confidence and we want to show them how to dress appropriately for school. We would like one by Sunday, August 4, 2013 at:
Premium Solutions Group
2649 Windguard Circle, Suite 101
Wesley Chapel , Fl 33544

Joe Kiesel-Nield
Joe Kiesel-Nield
9 years ago

I am a science teacher who needs a “body” for a Crime scene. It needs to be female if possible and be a full body. I need it by Thursday August 29. I know that is quick but I have just been hired to this position. The entire curriculum of the year is based upon elements of this crime scene so it is imperative that be as exact as possible. Can you help?
Thanks!

sylvia
sylvia
9 years ago

doing a halloween haunted night in las olas florida….BIG EVENT…need full half and body parts….have 2 weeks to finish…..please help….

Alexander Harris
Alexander Harris
9 years ago

I need a male mannequin for displaying neckties on the green screen for my new project. Can you help?

Pedro Santana
Pedro Santana
8 years ago

Hi, I design clothes for drag queens and its hard to size or cut my designs I have been looking for a mannequin for my projects and it is really hard in Brooklyn I really would love for someone to donate or sell me one so I can continue with my projects I have so many I started but cant finish in order for me to finish them I have to put it on myself and its hard to do the back of them so please help me find a mannequin that no one needs or want I would gladly take it off their hands

bitbox
bitbox
8 years ago

I don’t know if this will do anyone any good (in time) but perhaps you can give this info to someone who can use it. I am a truck driver and am delivering to “Andrews United, @ 2500 Charter st in Columbus Oh. They are throwing dozens of brand new mannequins in the garbage dumpster here as I write this. I am watching them take brand new mannequins out of the boxes, strip the packing materials and toss the mannequins into the dumpster. seems rather wasteful to me. perhaps you can get someone here before the truck comes for the dumpster, as they frequently empty these things only weekly. Even if you get this too late to take advantage of this, I would imagine this might happen periodically, and prove a future source of mannequins for some starving artist types. Good luck. I really hate seeing such blatant waste of materials that could obviously benefit somebody, rather than adding to some landfill.
Responding to this post about this particular event is probably pointless as i don’t do a regular route, but rather travel the entire 48 states. However, if you happen to know of any scavenging, or “good garbage recovery” type websites that might find similar events at future times and widely varying locations useful, I would appreciate any links you might send me.
Good Luck!

Carina
8 years ago

Excellent post. I will be going through some of these issues as well..

carmine
carmine
8 years ago

Hi im looking for afemale set legs for a halloween project. Im located in RI

THANK YOU!

Aysha
Aysha
7 years ago

Please advise as to where I can get mannequins donated to us.

Thanking you kindly